Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day...a Day of LOVE.

I laugh a little out loud when I think about Valentine's Day, mainly the different meanings it has provided to me over the years.

I think back to being a child, and having my father always present me with a box of chocolates, and feeling so loved. Then as I grew older, of course this tradition continued, but the candy grams would come at school.  It was very important to get one.

As you grow and have a special someone in your life, the day is full of high expectations - mainly expecting something great to then tell your friends about. That usually ended like this: "OMG BFF, ____ got me the most BEAUTIFUL black hills gold (snicker) ring for Valentine's Day. I'm pretty sure we're getting MARRIED!!"

Then the time frame comes when you are newly married, happy to be forever "taken" and the expectations start to fade - somewhat. The expectation is still there for something fancy - maybe a nice dinner or piece of jewelry.

And then there are the years when the children come about...now don't get me wrong, this is not a post about the lack of love as you grow older in your marriage. In fact, it's completely the opposite. Having 2 little nuggets makes this day special for so many different reasons. I have so much fun explaining that we spread the LOVE to everyone, just as God Spreads love all year long. And this day is such a special day to be reminded of that. We spread the love at work, school, and especially at home. These days our Valentine's Days look a lot different - no longer filled with expensive restaurants, diamonds, and candy. Rather, our day is filled with sharing the love to all, burgers & shakes, and still a lot of candy. :)

We started the day off with red, heart-shaped pancakes and heart-shaped eggs. T got to explore her glorious PINK and RED gifts from us, and Jax enjoyed watching all of it go down. Mama got a very nice letter from the man of the house and some beautiful grocery-store flowers that are outlasting the $100 flowers by about a week. We celebrated by having burgers and shakes at our favorite local diner and just loving on each other.


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment